You and your friend were discussing euthanasia and whether it is an ethical procedure. Your friend does not believe in it but you feel it is an option depending on the circumstance. You think of your great grandmother who is terminally ill but is in pain and is on life support.
Using the textbook and the Internet, research both the pros and cons of euthanasia.
One of your best friends is on the waiting list for a new liver. According to current research, there is a huge waiting list for organ donations. Several states have offered tax incentives to encourage organ donation. You are unsure of how to encourage her to be optimistic.
You decide to do research on tax incentives in the different states and other options to encourage organ donation.
You need a back operation but cannot afford your cost share of the operation. You have heard that other countries may offer less expensive medical procedures. You decide to investigate this option.
Perform an Internet search and use textbook information on medical tourism. Locate two countries that offer lower-cost surgeries. Write a report and submit to the class.
The following are suggested discussion questions for this chapter.
- Discuss the concepts of negligence and intentional torts and give examples of these in the healthcare industry.
- What is tort reform? Do you believe tort reform is necessary?
- Discuss three employment-related pieces of legislation that you feel are very important and why.
- What is an affirmative action plan? Research on the Internet and discuss with your classmates the issues regarding this type of plan.
- What is defensive medicine? Do you think physicians really do this? Research on the Internet and locate current information on this topic to share with your classmates.
You just joined a company and one of the benefits was an employee wellness program. You were not sure what type of program it was and whether you would use the program.
Perform research on different types of employee wellness programs and discuss the relationship between employee wellness programs and the HIPAA law.
Your cousin is involved in a lawsuit. He is the claimant of the case. You were very surprised and you asked him to give you a summary of the problem. He mentioned the words “noneconomic damages,” “standard of care,” and “medical malpractice.” You were not sure what these words meant so you decided to do some research on them.
Research these three terms and provide specific “real-world” examples of the application of these terms.