Dr. DoRight has recently been hired as the President of the “Universal Human Care Hospital”, where he oversees all departments with over 5,000 employees and over 20,000 patients at the medical facility. He has been provided with a broad set of duties and oversight of numerous departments, including business development, customer services, human resources, legal, patient advocacy, to name a few. He has managers in each department that he supervises and who work with him to address the needs of the various internal and external stakeholders of the hospital. Dr. DoRight discovers that some patients within the hospital have been dying as a result of a variety of illegal procedures by doctors and nurses, and negligent supervision and oversight on their part. This was brought to his attention in a few meetings and he told his Regional Director Compliance Manager and Executive Committee in January 2009. He was told by them that the matter would be investigated and they would report any findings to him as soon as possible. After two (2) years, there have been no results from the investigation and some patients are still passing away due to the negligent activities. He also answers to a board of trustees and interfaces with numerous community organizations and corporations who have various reasons for doing business with the hospital. Dr. DoRight continues to win awards for his leadership of the hospital and meeting business goals. He was recently named “Medical Business Executive of the Year” in 2011.
Write a six to seven (6-7) page paper in which you:
- Determine at least three (3) different internal and external stakeholders that Dr. DoRight might have to deal with on a daily basis at the hospital.
- Compare and contrast potential conflicts of interest that may exist between the internal and external stakeholders.
- Discuss whether Dr. DoRight has fulfilled his ethical duty by reporting the illegal procedures.
- Describe the deontology principle and apply it to the ethical dilemma that Dr. DoRight faces in this case.
- Describe the utilitarianism principle and apply it to the ethical dilemma Dr. Do Right faces in this case.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; references must follow APA or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required page length.
- The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Analyze employee rights to health and safety in the workplace.
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in law, ethics, and corporate governance.
Write clearly and concisely about law, ethics, and corporate governance using proper writing mechanics.